Friday, August 15, 2008

Camp Krislund

For 6 summers our kids have been involved with Camp Krislund in Madisonburg, PA near State College. At church I lead a 3rd-6th grade TWEENS group and thought (okay, apparently "thought" is not the right word) it would be fun to take a group of kids and volunteer there for a week. Well...let's start by saying that I AM NOT a camper so don't ask me where I came up with such a goofy idea. Tammy Blose, the church director of Educational Ministries, and I took 10 kids (7 TWEENS & 3 mini-campers) for a wilderness adventure. After two days of a lot of homesickness, the kids had a great time. The girls stayed in (beyond rustic) tents nearby so we got to see them fairly often. Thankfully, we got to stay in a lodge; however it was already occupied by a mouse and a bat that the counselors named Suzy. After a few more sessions of therapy I think I'll be okay.
















anging out during tabin time. Tabin stands for cabin-aged girls staying in tents.













Holly, aka "Aunty"; Carol, aka "Luuucy" and Susie






I will say that the chemistry between the volunteers was awesome. We laughed A LOT! Susie, Holly (aka Aunty) and Carol (aka "Luuucy") are so much fun. We worked 13 hour (yes, 13) days in the kitchen preparing meals & snacks for 150 people with the most dilapidated equipment imaginable. Cook Nate (aka Iron Chef) was terrific didn't believe in "camp food". He introduced good and healthy choices for the camps and the counselors loved the variety. He's a really great family guy who is unknowingly "seeking". God had great plans for him. As tired as we were each night (did I say 13 hour days?) we'd get back to the lodge and talk 'til the wee hours. Though I cannot see myself ever returning to Krislund, being there blessed me in uncountable ways.








Nat & his wife Patrycia
On Tuesday, Steve Cort, Camp Director (aka King of Camp) told our homesick girls that on Thursday, Tammy & I would climb the rock wall since they were being so brave at camp. No, he didn't give us a heads up that he was going to make such an "are-you-crazy?" request.

Much to my horror we went!


Trying to negotiate a way out of this...Scaling the wall




Although I did not enjoy the rock wall (I did make it 22 feet up) I LOVED the zip line. Adventure Team leader Isaac (aka Adventure Boy) went with us on this "I'm-WAY-too-old-for-this" adventure and he was amazing. Talk about a guy who wears his faith on his sleeve! Anyway, I HATE heights, bridges, etc...don't ask me what made me WANT to try the zip line because I am the biggest chicken EVER. It was the coolest thing - I'm so glad I went. One of our last days there Isaac got called to active duty. Please pray for him, his safety, and his family while he honors his commitment to the U.S. Air Force.

Isaac, aka "Adventure Boy"








Making the slow, STEEP climb to the top!
















View of God's handiwork from the top.






No comments: